The holidays can be rough. Besides all those sugary goodies and music, there are parties, presents, and people to deal with – some we like and others we dislike.
How to get through it all, you’re asking?
- Take it one day at a time. Plan your days and leave time for self-care.
- The holidays don’t have to be an “all or nothing” marathon. Make a budget for your money, time, and energy.
- Remember that it is okay to say no. Sometimes saying no to others can be a way to say yes to you.
- Be sure to include quiet time for yourself. De-stressing through exercise, meditation, or time in nature can be just what you need to keep the holiday spirit going.
- Don’t overdo the sugar and alcoholic beverages. Drink plenty of water and eat some veggies!
- Get enough sleep. Facing Aunt Martha can be rough enough, but when you’re tired it can be even rougher!
- Don’t neglect the pets! Make sure they are getting the time and attention, including exercise, that they need. Also be aware of the extra treats they might get but don’t need, especially things that can be hazardous to their health.
And finally, don’t forget to breathe. Breathe in the smells of the holidays – cookies baking, turkey roasting, freshly cut pine. Deep breathing will help you to relax and get through it all!